Open Age 1st Team



Woolston Rovers

Sat 9 Mar 2019 | League | Home

In Kingstone Press National Conference League Division 3 Heworth, after a much improved performance, came agonisingly close to pulling off their first win of the season but eventually went down 20-16 to Woolson Rovers at Elmpark Way. The Villagers trailed 10-4 at the break and 20-4 with half an hour remaining. A spirited fightback however, saw them claw their way back to within four points with ten minutes left on the clock but a lack of composure close to the line led to them failing to convert several potential match winning chances leaving the visitors mightily relieved to hear the final whistle. 
Woolston opened the scoring after six minutes with a try by winger Christian Taylor goaled by stand off Aaron Barber. Heworth responded five minutes later when a good passing movement led to wingman James Gill crossing in the right corner for an unconverted score. Rovers, with their much bigger pack of forwards creating problems for the home defence, increased their lead with Barber touching down after 23 minutes. Five minutes before the break the visitors lost two players to the sin bin but the hosts, despitegoing extremely close, were unable to press home their advantage and went in six points in arrears at half time. 
The Warrington outfit came out strongly in the second period and looked to have put themselves out of reach when centre Justin Becker went over for a brace of tries in the opening ten minutes. Barber improving one of the scores to make it 20-4. A runaway victory seemed on the cards minutes later when they were over the line again but the referee, after consulting a touch judge, ruled that the final pass had gone forward. The Black and Whites were not done though and showed plenty of character to produce their best spell of the match. On 56 minutes a neat offload by full back George Elliott sent stand off Ben Dent, in his first appearance of the season, plunging over to score and Elliott added the extras. With ten minutes remaining it was game on when scrum half James Morland broke through the defensive line forty metres out and sprinted away before finding second rower Liam Watling in support who went in under the posts for Elliott to tag on the conversion. In a nervy final period both sides were guilty of making unforced errors although it was the Villagers who created the better field position but after a number of good chances went begging they were unable to land the final hammer blow and it was the visitors who returned home triumphant.
Elliott was Heworth's man of the match with Dent, Morland and Watling in close contention. 


Back to Fixtures